Skip to main content

Book Banning Week....what is it?

This week is book banning week which sounds sort of awful if you think about it. When I first heard about it I thought it was a week celebrating banning books but no, it is a celebration of all the books that were once banned in this country. Silly me! Sponsored by the ALA (American Library Association), this week tries to bring awareness to an issue that still very much exists even though it feels like ancient history.

Honestly, it floors me that in 2011, books are still being "challenged." That is the word used now because as you know it is against the Constitution to ban books but one has the right to challenge anything (also according to our beloved Constitution.) According to some research I did there were over 300 documented challenges concerning books in this country last year, most of them made by parents of school aged children. As a former teacher and educator, this disgusts me. It suggests that our children should not think for themselves or even worse, that they can't be trusted. They think that some of the issues written will influence their children negatively and cause them to act inappropriately. Can't these parents think of greater causes to put their energy behind rather than an antiquated one like book banning? In a world where things like terrorism, drugs, natural disasters, and gang wars populate the news, how come people are more afraid of what is between 2 pages than what is on their doorstep? Call me naive, but I just don't get it. When teaching, I was thrilled when my students found books they actually wanted to read. With the age of technology, it is getting increasingly difficult to entice children to read actual books. There are so many other exciting things out there that capture their attention - much more so than when I was a kid. I remember when a group of my 6th grade girls were enraptured by the "Twilight" series. Instead of going outside for a much needed break in their day, they chose to stay inside and read as a group. I was never more proud as a teacher and a lover of books even though I couldn't get as enthusiastic about their choice of book but that's neither her nor there. They were reading and that is all that mattered. Incidentally, "Twilight" was one of the top 10 most challenged books last year by parents, along with the "Harry Potter" series (gasp!) and "The Hunger Games." (my favorite new young adult series.)

We can't protect our children from the world. Bad things are going to happen - whether its for real or between the pages of a book. And don't parents know by now that the one thing that will get their child to do something quicker than anything else is telling them they can't? Once you start saying that a book is bad and they shouldn't read it, what do you think they are going to do? So I say, keep challenging books so kids will keep challenging their parents!

For a list of top most challenged books of 2010, go to:

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/220946/20110927/banned-books-week-2011.htm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is a classic?

There are varying definitons and opinions about what defines a classic but they all have  3 things in common: 1.  It stands the test of time 2. It has universal appeal 3. It has artistic quality I have to add my own to these three and that is that it moves you to feel something - whether it be love, hate, anger, sadness or joy, a classic work of literture should have the power to move. This has led me to reflect upon my first real experience with being moved by a book. I read a lot as a child and teenager but largely to impress my mother who was a librarian. My reading experience didn't extend beyond  Stephen King and the Baby Sitter's Club books. Then my junior year in high school, my English teacher assigned, "A Separate Peace." by John Knowles,  a typical high school reading list book.  I approached it like I did every school assigment - with diligence but little to no enthusiasm. Three quarters of the book was pretty forgettable....

California dreaming

When I was 23, I moved to Los Angeles. My older sister Lorraine left for California after graduating college in the 80s and stayed out there. When I was young, I would go visit her with my parents or my Aunt Florence. Something about California seemed impossibly glamorous and other worldly when I was 11. I fell in love. It was always sunny and the ocean greeted you at every turn. I was enraptured by the palm trees and the active lifestyle. Growing up in Boston my whole life, I was used to freezing cold winters, barren landscapes and grumpy people. I mean its beautiful in the spring and summer but that doesn't last that long. California was the land of plenty and I wanted to go. I set my sights on leaving when I was in high school. I knew by the time I was 15 that I would move there eventually. I ended up staying in Boston for college mostly due to financial reasons but as soon as I graduated I was off. I ended up in Los Angeles which wasn't my first choice but my other sister w...

By the numbers

The study of numerology is a interesting one. I never looked into before but lately I’ve been delving a little deeper. I guess it all started when I was listening to a podcast about it. I don’t know if I believe in it but lately I’m not closing off any ideas so I thought I would do a little research. I also started thinking back to when my current struggles took root and it was 7 years ago. There are so many instances of 7 being a significant number in all types of cultures and religions. Haven’t we all heard the proverb that says, “Break a mirror and have 7 years of bad luck?”  In many religious cultures, 7 is a significant number. In Christian belief, God created the world and rested on the 7 th day. In sects of Hindu and Buddhist beliefs belief, there are 7 major energy systems in the body (chakras). In Islam, Muslims, on their pilgrimage to Mecca walk 7 times around the center of the sacred mosque. In Jewish wedding ceremonies, there are 7 blessings. There are 7 deadly sins, ...