Skip to main content
Last night sitting in the glow of our tiny Christmas tree, I got homesick.  Not homesick for now but for when I was a little kid. Of course I miss my friends and family a little more around this time of year but last night I found myself transported back to Christmas's when I was young. There is something about multicolored lights on an evergreen that instantly brings me back home. Some of my clearest and fondest memories are of decorating the tree with my parents, watching corny Christmas shows on TV after getting home from school,  and filling stockings on Christmas Eve while we ate Chinese food and watched George Baily be railroaded by everyone he loved. Christmas is perhaps the most nostalgic time of year and I find myself trying to recreate the traditions of my past with my husband, We went to a lot and picked out a real tree this year and that woodsy, homey pine smell hit my nose and brought me to all of those times my Dad and I went tree hunting. I also want to have new traditions because its not good to always dwell in the past but I see no harm in keeping some of the things that made my childhood so magical.

I finished "Last Night in Twisted River" and I'm kinda pissed. I was enjoying it so much and then it turned sour. I think that if the last third of the book was gone, I would have loved it. Yes the whole tone of the book was melancholy and I didn't love the main character but the plot was interesting and suspenseful enough to keep me guessing. I feel like Irving kind of gave up by the end. It got unbelievable and boring by the time I hit page 400 out of 600. I hate it when I read a novel that has a crappy ending. It ruins the whole book for me. It has always made me think that Irving has lost his touch. His last 3 books have been shadows of who he used to be as a writer and story teller. Wow that makes me sad.

Nothing else is really going on in my life that doesn't revolve around sports or TV shows so I'll spare you the boring details....till next time

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is a classic?

There are varying definitons and opinions about what defines a classic but they all have  3 things in common: 1.  It stands the test of time 2. It has universal appeal 3. It has artistic quality I have to add my own to these three and that is that it moves you to feel something - whether it be love, hate, anger, sadness or joy, a classic work of literture should have the power to move. This has led me to reflect upon my first real experience with being moved by a book. I read a lot as a child and teenager but largely to impress my mother who was a librarian. My reading experience didn't extend beyond  Stephen King and the Baby Sitter's Club books. Then my junior year in high school, my English teacher assigned, "A Separate Peace." by John Knowles,  a typical high school reading list book.  I approached it like I did every school assigment - with diligence but little to no enthusiasm. Three quarters of the book was pretty forgettable....

California dreaming

When I was 23, I moved to Los Angeles. My older sister Lorraine left for California after graduating college in the 80s and stayed out there. When I was young, I would go visit her with my parents or my Aunt Florence. Something about California seemed impossibly glamorous and other worldly when I was 11. I fell in love. It was always sunny and the ocean greeted you at every turn. I was enraptured by the palm trees and the active lifestyle. Growing up in Boston my whole life, I was used to freezing cold winters, barren landscapes and grumpy people. I mean its beautiful in the spring and summer but that doesn't last that long. California was the land of plenty and I wanted to go. I set my sights on leaving when I was in high school. I knew by the time I was 15 that I would move there eventually. I ended up staying in Boston for college mostly due to financial reasons but as soon as I graduated I was off. I ended up in Los Angeles which wasn't my first choice but my other sister w...

By the numbers

The study of numerology is a interesting one. I never looked into before but lately I’ve been delving a little deeper. I guess it all started when I was listening to a podcast about it. I don’t know if I believe in it but lately I’m not closing off any ideas so I thought I would do a little research. I also started thinking back to when my current struggles took root and it was 7 years ago. There are so many instances of 7 being a significant number in all types of cultures and religions. Haven’t we all heard the proverb that says, “Break a mirror and have 7 years of bad luck?”  In many religious cultures, 7 is a significant number. In Christian belief, God created the world and rested on the 7 th day. In sects of Hindu and Buddhist beliefs belief, there are 7 major energy systems in the body (chakras). In Islam, Muslims, on their pilgrimage to Mecca walk 7 times around the center of the sacred mosque. In Jewish wedding ceremonies, there are 7 blessings. There are 7 deadly sins, ...